Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Subway, Zion National Park (3/29/10)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 pm 
Day 2 report link. Day 3 report link. Day 4 report link. Day 5 report link. Day 6 report link. What a disastrous outing, first up in my Southwest trip. The only silver lining is that things could have been worse… Day 1/6: The Subway (March 29, 2010) I had originally planned this trip for later in the week, but a crummy forecast (for the day of the trip) had me reevaluating. So, at 8:00am I was at the Zion Visitor Center, and was lucky enough to snap up a permit for The Subway, a fantastic canyon structure 3.3mi up the left fork of North Creek. (I gave up my original date’s permit, which I had obtained 2 months earlier in the online lottery.) Happy as can be, I raced off to an empty trailhead. The drive is quite spectacular, since the trailhead is located on a dramatic ridge, surrounded by towering rock structures. The day had warmed up and it was quite pleasant. Gawking away (Pittsburgh doesn’t provide any drama in its scenery), I dropped down into the canyon. The left fork is extremely pretty, with small cascades providing music and beauty - in fact, so pretty that at one time I got a shock when I lifted my head to take a look back and noticed the dramatic cliffs of the canyon, now being lit up by the morning sun. The only annoyance was the poor footing and numerous rock-hop crossings of the creek. It was slow going, due to the terrain, but eventually I was at the mouth of the Subway. The canyon walls had narrowed and now bulged overhead to create a ‘subway’ like cavern (though the top was open to the sky). I exchanged my boots for some sandals and entered the big payoff. Immediately, I was struck by the numerous compositions on offer. I took a few preparatory photos and disaster struck. Heading towards my first ‘proper’ composition I slipped and fell on the slippery rocks. The tripod and camera crashed on the rocks, with camera separating and heading sou’-sou’-west, while tripod headed nor’- nor’-east. I quickly picked the camera out of the stream and dried it with a hand towel. Then I had a look at the damage: smashed polarizer, but camera/lens thankfully operational and seemingly undamaged. Unfortunately, the tripod ended up with a broken mounting plate, which meant the end of any further photography in The Subway. (I replaced both parts as soon as I returned from the hike.) I took a look at the “waterfall room” entrance but the water was at least chest high; since I couldn’t feel my toes by now due to the cold water and was hobbled by my equipment, I called it a day here. The way back was quite depressing until I found the two rocks with dinosaur tracks. How can one remain depressed in the face of such timelessness? Good hike, looking forward to the next round tomorrow. Stats: - Distance: 6.7mi. - Hiking time: 7hrs. Photos:
1- The road
1- The road
2- Admiring Zion's cliffs
2- Admiring Zion's cliffs
6- Turn around time
6- Turn around time
7- Dino track
7- Dino track

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 7:53 pm 
OH, what a nightmare with the camera! eek.gif I'm glad it's still working and can't wait to see what else you'll find out there. Have a great trip! PS:That dino track must have been a baby dino!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 8:00 pm 
oh no, not your camera..glad it's okay..lovely photos.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 8:01 pm 
oh no! glad to read though that the main camera is in tack. be careful! hip waders may be the fashionable outfit for the waterfall room. i wonder if those toe/foot warmers help. number 5 up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm 
Thanks for the concern guys. Photos 6 and 7 were taken after the fall, so you can see that things look ok. (Fingers still crossed.) bcfc53, most of the other people I saw there had fancy 'canyoneering' boots/'socks'. Since these were identical, they must have rented them in Springdale. I don't know how good they were for traction.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 8:52 pm 
may be early but bumbleberry pie in springdale is delicious!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 9:18 pm 
Can't wait to see days 2 through 6! Especially since I drove 700 some miles today on my way to Indian Creek and the Needles. Made it as far as Brigham City! Glad the camera survived, Gali. Enjoy the trip! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 9:30 pm 
WHAT! Glad your camera is ok though~! Looking forward to 2-6 agree.gif Oh yeah, nice photos hockeygrin.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 pm 
Dang, so sorry to hear that Gali. Better luck with the rest of your trip. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 am 
Wow! I know how that feels. I'm glad to hear there wasn't worse damage. The dinosaur track is very cool and as usual - wonderful photos. Looking forward to seeing more from your trip.

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 am 
Upon seeing the title of the thread, my first reaction was to post a snarky comment, such as, "Oh great, I shouldn't even bother to go to Zion this year, because these photos will rock my socks off." Then I read the post. Sorry to hear about the damage. Of course, the photos do rock my socks off. up.gif We're going to Zion in May for a few days. Looking forward to more from you, Gali!

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 10:33 am 
Thanks for a good idea. I'll be there in June so good to know I could try for that trail via the online lottery. Guess I'd better get planning!

Don

Don
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 11:06 am 
Dang camera accidents anyway! Unfortunately, they happen. I've certainly experienced my share of these, resulting in some learned lessons in the process. Good to read that you've kept your spirits up and are set to continue enjoying a beautiful area! I didn't get to spend nearly enough time in Zion. Good for you in your selection of destinations! Beautiful pictures as usual, Gali. up.gif Keep 'em coming!

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm 
Yeah, I've been waiting for this series of reports! chickenleg.gif Boo hoo, breaking your camera is not what I wanted to hear though! waah.gif I'm glad it wasn't your lens or body that you sacrificed to the Subway gods, but I'm interested in hearing the story of how you stumbled upon a replacement polarizer and the exact tripod mount you needed in Canyon Country. I'm guessing they didn't come cheap if you didn't bring spares with you (not something you usually have spares of laying around). The dinosaur tracks are cool and easy to miss if you didn't know they were there. If it is any consolation, if the entrance to the waterfall room was chest high, there was probably a whole lot of splashing going on in there and you wouldn't have been able to photograph it anyway, even if your tripod was in working order. I look forward to seeing the rest, hopefully you get to all the places on your itinerary. wink.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm 
up.gif Sorry to hear about your camera misadventure, the Subway was always a trip I had wanted to do the several times we were in Zion, but never was able to make it happen end to end as part of a family vacation. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene