Forum Index > Trip Reports > Angels Landing and extras, Zion National Park (3/31/2010)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 pm 
Day 1 report link. Day 2 report link. Day 4 report link. Day 5 report link. Day 6 report link. March 31, 2010: Zion National Park Day 3 of my southwest trip was spent touring the Zion National Park valley. If Yosemite is the granite classic, Zion is its sandstone equivalent: a narrow valley cut by the Virgin River, plus soaring domes and shimmering waterfalls…truly, a land of the gods.
Hike 1: Angels Landing During the planning stages for my trip, Angels Landing was right at the top of the list. The challenge of scaling a steep, exhilarating tightrope of a ridge is a big draw for almost anyone who visits Zion National Park...of course, I was no different. I started the hike around 8:00am in overcast conditions. The 'trail' was paved, though high winds the previous day, and today, had blown sand all over the surface. It was a bit nippy, so I was glad to get the heart rate racing, as the grade steepened (though not too much) almost from the start. A series of switchbacks, blasted into a sheer cliff face, made short work of the elevation gain, and I soon entered a stunning, narrow valley, beside a burbling creek. At the end of the valley were the famous Walter’s Wiggles, a set of tight switchbacks, which took one up in seemingly no time at all with minimal effort. By now I had wrapped around the summit cliff-face of Angels Landing. Done with the switchbacks, I left the main trail (which continued up to Zion’s west rim) to take the turnoff for Angels Landing. Immediately, the 'real' climbing began as sloped sandstone slabs, intermittently studded by chains for security, led me steeply up and up. Initially, I was a bit concerned with the strong wind and fresh sand coating the rock, but thankfully these weren’t a problem. I crested a hump and took a look at the final summit ridge. I gotta go up that? This is where most people lose their nerve, since the vanishingly narrow ridge seemingly goes straight up. Anyway, as I got up close and personal with the ridge, as expected things were nowhere near as bad as they looked. The danger element was no more than the hump I had already scaled, just much more sustained. I reached an empty summit, but was soon joined by a couple. We traded taking each other’s photos. They headed down, but I lingered, enjoying the stunning views of Zion valley, in both directions, since Angels Landing is located in a kink in the valley, about halfway in. The way down was straight forward, though there were quite a few nervous hikers heading up. Down from the summit ridge, instead of heading back to the trailhead, I went up towards the west rim, to get a better perspective of Angels Landing. Then, it was back down into the valley for further explorations. Stats: - Distance: 6.5mi - Elevation gain: 1,800ft - Hiking/photography time: 3.5hrs
Hike 2: Weeping Rock With my main hike out of the way, it was time for some ‘tourist’ hiking. First up was the short 0.5mi hike up to Weeping Rock. I had seen a tall, shimmering waterfall from Angels Landing; well Weeping Rock was located at its base. I ended up below an overhang, which was curtained with dripping water. The waterfall was to the side, but would periodically become part of the curtain, as the strong winds were blowing it every which way. Very, very nice! Stats: 0.5mi, 100ft gain.
Hike 3: Emerald Pools After a highly tasty lunch (fish tacos), I headed up to the Emerald Pools. I had been looking forward to this one, since the pools were reportedly very nice. The easy nature of the hike meant that it was extremely crowded, but since I was in tourist mode I quite enjoyed the company. I sociably chatted my way up to the lower pools, at the base of another shimmering waterfall, also being blown around. Once more, you hike behind the waterfall, how cool is that? The pools, in fact the waterfall’s splash pool, weren’t that great, so I hurried up to the top of the waterfall, where the middle pools were located. Better…but not by much. Onward to the upper pools, at the base of yet another blowing waterfall (maybe 300ft tall?)… This pool was stunning! Limpid and emerald green, with a soft, sandy bank; above all of this a shifting, blowing, mist of a waterfall. Wow! Stats: 2.5mi, 350ft gain.
Hike 4: Riverside walk One of the hikes I had really wanted to do in Zion National Park was The Narrows, a hike in the Virgin River through a gorgeous slot canyon. Unfortunately, this was closed due to a high water-flow level. So, I decided to walk 1mi up the start of the trail, which is known as the Riverside Walk hike. This is one of those introspective type hikes, where soaring moss-coated cliffs enclose one in a snug, cozy, comfy environment, as you hike beside the Virgin River. You are forced to notice all kinds of little treasures, which would otherwise be overlooked in the in-your-face splendor of Zion National Park. Whether you do The Narrows or not, give this one a try, it’s well worth it. Stats: 2mi, 60ft gain.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 9:25 pm 
I just love it when you go on vacation, GW! It's like we get to go with you! Thanks for sharing these great photos of one of the most beautiful places in the world! up.gif Hopefully you'll get some blue skies soon, to go with all that gorgeous red rock! cool.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
After a highly tasty lunch (fish tacos)....
hungry.gif
the Zachster wrote:
I just love it when you go on vacation, GW! It's like we get to go with you!
ditto.gif What a wonderful day! smile.gif I really enjoy your day to day updates, TRs and pictures cool.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostWed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm 
I just looked at the pics so far...I'll get to the story in the morning...but man I really want to get out here. up.gif

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt

jeremybe
Ol' One-shirt
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 6:19 am 
Again, great stuff. up.gif I'm not sure I'll be able to do Angel's Landing. I feel like I should at least try it, though! Good tacos? Where are you eating in and around Zion? And, for that matter, staying? I'm hoping to roll into the No Reservations campsite in May.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 6:53 am 
i love Angel's Landing! thanks for sharing your trip there. i must go back! i'll have to scan my photos to post.....back then it was all film up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
JPH

JPH
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 6:57 am 
jeremybe wrote:
Good tacos? Where are you eating in and around Zion? And, for that matter, staying? I'm hoping to roll into the No Reservations campsite in May.
When in May? I need to know who my competition is... These reports are going to be a huge help when I'm planning my trip. Thanks!

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 11:06 am 
I love Utah, thanks for sharing. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
stacymarie

stacymarie
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 am 
14 is stunning! thank you for posting smile.gif

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
Toni

Toni
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm 
I got as far as #5, my friend did not want to go further, so I said to myself, "I'll be back!" That's been 4 yrs. ago, it's still on my list, thanks for sharing.

There is no Planet B
silence

silence
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 pm 
ah .. you made it there too .. angels landing .. my nemesis ... after reading mark griffiths tr a couple of yrs back and now yours i'm sure i can make it now .. the prob then was all the people .. it was too scary to tread on those narrow paths with chains while others were jostling me .. so i turned back -- fear of the unknown ... but now i know to go very early .... to be there at sunrise .. some day soon perhaps?? wonderful images as always wink.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
JPH

JPH
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 1:02 pm 
Question: If you wanted to hit Angel's Landing as a side trip at the end of the West Rim trail, would there be a place that you could leave your pack? Or would you have to carry it out all the way? Thanks!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 1:23 pm 
Those pictures are an outrage. More! MORE!! Please don't be like the pusher who will only give a taste to get you hooked.... slobber.gif Seriously, nice work. up.gif The colors of the rock really pop.

Wopper

Wopper
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm 
Zion is at the top of my list for the most beautiful places I have visited. To bad the Virgin was running high. The Narrows is incredible.
JPH wrote:
Question: If you wanted to hit Angel's Landing as a side trip at the end of the West Rim trail, would there be a place that you could leave your pack? Or would you have to carry it out all the way? Thanks!
You could leave at the saddle where there is a junction of the Angels Landing Trail and the West Rim Trail!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 pm 
The really nice tacos I had were at an unassuming little place in Springdale. Pricey, but really nice. In general I've been eating all over: fast-food, Subway, you name it. The fish tacos were the only nice food I've had, but I've hardly been going out of my way to search out nice food. I'm based in Hurricane, just 30min from Zion. Accommodation is cheaper than Springdale and also more readily available. Angels Landing: Most people turn back at the spot in photo #5. This is unfortunate, since as I mentioned in the report they've already done the hump by then. The ridge looks pretty intimidating, but once you begin it's not bad. Of course, if you have a fear of exposure, it's not for you. Also, you can leave your pack at the spot in photo #5. Since the wind was really blowing hard, I left mine there, because my pack's pretty big for a daypack: lots of camera gear and other odds and ends.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani